Hepatitis is an inflammation caused to the second largest and most complicated organ ‘Liver’. The inflammation of the liver can be caused by a variety of non infectious agents like autoimmune factor, exposure to certain medications, drugs, alcohol etc., and infectious viruses, that lead to several health problems and may be fatal.
There are 5 main strains of Hepatitis and those are identified with the letters A, B, C, D and E.
The A, B, C, D and E of Hepatitis differ in the mode of transmission, geographical distribution, prevention methods and severity of illness. Some types of Hepatitis are preventable through vaccination.
Signs and Symptoms of hepatitis:
Loss of hunger, abdominal pain, unexplained weight loss, indigestion, fatigue, dark urine and yellowish discoloration of eyes and skin which may be the cause of jaundice.
- Physical examination and history assessment by the doctor. The doctor may order a Liver function test, if there is any Liver damage or disease.
- Liver function tests that includes,
- SGPT / ALT
- SGOT / AST
- Alkaline phosphatase
- Bilirubin total
- Bilirubin Direct
- Total protein
- Blood tests that include the check for autoantibodies and viruses.
- Other diagnostic methods are Biopsy which involves an invasive procedure which involves collection of samples from the liver using a needle and it doesn’t require any surgery. This typically involves ultrasound to guide the doctor while taking the sample.
- Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen to study Liver; some of it includes liver damage or enlargement, tumour, abnormalities of gallbladder etc.,
Everlife CPC offers identi clinical chemistry reagents for assessing the functions of the liver with its wide menu. The liquid stable high quality reagents are compatible with any biochemistry analyzer and are available in comfortable pack sizes according to the customers needs.
Marketing and Planning Division
everlife CPC diagnostics Pvt Ltd.